Monuments / Maglie (LE)
Column of Our Lady of Graces
The Column in Lecce stone has a smooth shaft, is 15 meters high and was built between 1684 and 1687 by the Confraternity of the Nativity, also known as the Congregation of Our Lady of Graces. On the square base are located the statues of the four protectors of Maglie: St. Nicola, St. Oronzo, St. Antonio of Padova and St. Leonardo on the sides. At the top, on a Corinthian column, stands the statue of the Virgin.
At the end of the 19th century ,a lightning damaged the statue and part of the capitalbeyond repair. So it was that for 17 years the column was beheaded. In 1926, the Brotherhood decided to entrust the sculptor Luigi De Pascalis of Maglie the construction of the new statue. The bust of the 17th-century statue of the Virgin, the fallen in 1900, is currently located in Largo Madonna delle Grazie.