Castles / Galatone (LE)
Belmonte-Pignatelli Marquis palace
The Marquis Palace, seat of the feudal lords of Galatone since the 16th century, was wanted by the Squarciafico family. The building was built on the site of a Angevin tower. The palace has an elegant prospectus, refined by windows decorated with masks and floral motifs of the late 16th century. In the western corner of the facade there are the coats of arms of the feudal families of Squarciafico ,Pinelli, Pignatelli and Grillo. The internal environments, damaged and reworked after the earthquake of 1743 that caused the collapse of the northern part of the structure, includes the stables and servants' rooms on the ground floor, and the nobility rooms on the top floor.