Monuments / Otranto (LE)
Monument for the Martyrs of Otranto
The monument was created by sculptor Bortone, who symbolically wanted to represent the city. The female bronze figure holds up the cross and the flag and is placed on a stand about 3 m high, while on its head lies the crest of Otranto, tower and snake; below the Dolphin with the crescent moon, symbol of the province of Salento. At the top there are four bas-reliefs representing: the siege and fall of the city, the ram's head with oak and palm trees, the names of the 20 fighters who have excelled during the siege at the feet of the statue. The monument was inaugurated on December 3, 1924 by Crown Prince Umberto di Savoia.